Quick Summary...

All images are ©KandylaneEnchanted2014 by Kira Sanoja with Kandylane Photography. They are all personally inspired scenes that I have designed & created with the help of friends and family in real life....not in Photoshop (with the exeption of lighting, color, contrast, and small details) . I do not offer these as "session" to the public as they are meant to be Fine Art Photography in hopes of showcasing in galleries and one day when the project has matured, publishing a Fine Art Photography coffee table book showing "never before seen" pictures for some projects... (to read on about the summary [click here]

My Enchanted Tranquility (#32, #33 & #34)


Just about a year ago I woke up to quite an awesome dream! I was doing exactly what I did today; setting up a vintage style enchanted shoot where my fairy character with large lace wings was out in the woods watching an old tube TV with antennas! There weren't many details, but I thought about this dream in wonder because it was something so new to me. A year ago when I first started this project, was when I had a million new ideas coming into my mind during my waking life, all ideas that I could have followed through with just fine, but then this totally random inspiration flew right at me in the night. What would cause me to have a dream like this? Why? All of my shoots seem to have some significant background story which unravels its hidden message to me as I go, but this one had me stumped!

I knew right away who I wanted to portray this character! My niece, Mia! She was only 17 at the time of my dream and I wanted to wait for her 18th birthday before shooting so I MAJORLY put it on the back burner while I focused on other shoots. On Mia’s 15th birthday, we dolled her up in pinup style hair and makeup and did a super rad photo shoot out in an old Ghost Town south-east of Las Vegas called Eldorado Canyon (near Nelson NV). Mia has always had a cute, retro, bohemian style about her so I am sure that’s why she was THE ONE in my mind right away!

The way this has unfolded has been so interesting to me. The other day while in the passenger’s seat of my friend Sarah’s car, I was talking about this TV show she got me in to, but I was saying that I had to be working while watching it because otherwise I feel guilty just sitting down watching TV by myself. A few minutes later, I was going through notes in my phone looking to tell her about other enchanted ideas I have, when I came across a note I TOTALLY forgot I wrote from July 15th 2013. I talked about THIS dream! At the end of all the details I have already mentioned above, I give my thoughts on WHY I dreamt this. For a year I was lost as to why I had this dream, when it was in my notes all this time. I said: “I think I had this dream because of the guilt I feel sitting down watching TV sometimes; that if I don’t get a ton done in the day, I don’t always feel worthy to have some downtime.” I laughed about this but I know it’s true. Even when I have gotten really sick or just had surgery, I've had to assure myself that I was given doctor’s orders to lounge and not work. So silly.

I struggled to figure out why the “vintage” theme - I realized this morning that this theme is showing a timeline. I’m sure this guilt I feel has sat with people since the invention of the TV. This guilt is not some new thing. People have always been on the go, hardly slowing down to take a break. But it’s not just about the TV. It’s about taking time to let go and relax. Learning to enjoy your time resting while you are actually awake. Finding tranquility in the cracks of our spinning clocks. Rest, and when the time is right, get up, explore, work, and wander into the night to see what mysteries might be waiting around the corner.

Introducing...

My Enchanted Tranquility 

#32


#33


#34



The Making Of Video:
Enlarge & turn up music for a better experience!
Music by my own daddy, Ric Hancock!! In his instrumental album called U4ric. Song title- Beyond The Realm



Detail Cropped Closeups:
(To show quality details)
#32 Crop

#33 Crop

#34 Crop


Behind The Scenes...

The Dress:
A little over a month ago, I had a dream that I was dressing up a mannequin in a viewing area in a place like universal studios. People were driving by looking at the dress I was creating. It wasn't anything special, just pieces of pale pink and ivory fabric being hung down from the top and then wrapped up through the waist. When I woke up, I knew I'd use this concept at some point, but didn't think at all that it would be this shoot. I don't know what made me decide to use it on this shoot, but everything fell into place with the theme and color scheme!

Like you can see in some of the pictures, I took an already constructed dress that my friend gave me, bunched strips of ivory and pink lace up and safety pinned them to the top of the dress. Once this covered the dress from front to back, I filled in exposed spots with more fabric and then tied on extra fabric to the waist like I said above. very simple!!



The Wings:

I started the wings with a thinner galvanized wire. It should have been the thickest I could find though so I had to add on an electrical tape it together. Sometimes I am so anxious that I jump the gun and don't work very smart. Live and learn I guess! I wanted to do a different wind design than before. I had already done a set of angel wings, butterfly wings, and various fairy wings, but something drew me to bat wings! I formed the wire, used lots of electrical tape, laid lace down on the front and back, hot glued the lace to each vein, then cut off the excess. Also fairly simple! My youngest, Jordan had some fun trying them on!






The Bed:

Even though in my dream, my character was laying on the ground, I thought it would be a lot more "enchanted" if she had a bed and other props in the woods as if this was her bedroom. I wanted a very elegant, shabby-chic bed to go with her vintage style. I found this beautiful brown wood bed on Craigslist for $40! I kind of felt guilty painting over it, but I knew that ivory would stand out in the woods so much more than brown so I went to town!

I really had no idea what I was doing. besides the red door from a previous shoot, I had never really done anything like this before. I started with white paint over the whole thing...I even had another little helper! After painting 2 coats of white and waiting for that to dry, I lightly sanded the surfaces and heavily sanded the edges exposing the original wood. I then used a dark soft wax by Annie Sloan! This worked wonders!!! Beautiful on the white wood.....terrible on my fingers, lol. Gloves, Kira, gloves!! Then I bought these little wood embellishments from Michaels...painting and stained those as well and then wood glued them on. Turned out simple gorgeous!! 





The Makeup:

I'm so glad that Brittany (my makeup girl--- Makeup by Brittany Benko) always knows exactly how my mind works. We hardly have to say a word and things happen, although LOTS of words are said when we are together lol. I told her...soft, lace, pearls, pink, ivory....and she made it happen as always. I am so thankful for this roll she has taken on this the Kandylane Enchanted story! Love her to pieces!!!!

Mia, my model niece is one of the most naturally beautiful people I know! Gorgeous skin, beautiful bone structure and even though she loves cracking these hilarious faces, it never takes away from her striking appearance!

Sarah, one of my dear friends and previous models (as the enchanted symphony character) has been working with me on normal photography jobs and I was thrilled when she wanted to come along to do behind the scenes pictures!! This took a big weight off my shoulders knowing that things would be capture properly without me getting caught up and forgetting to! She was there from start to finish, even helping with setup and take down while shooting! so Grateful for her!!




The Setup:

Towards the end of getting ready, my sister in law, previous model (the enchanted discovery), Mia's step mom, Amy, stopped in (nice details, Kira lol)! She came to our rescue with another set of hands and eyes setting up! As she always does!

About a month ago I went exploring a few different locations and landed on this gorgeous spot. I had been near it before, but never gone in depth. Biggest problem was that we had to walk all of the props back into the area. I guess nothing beats when we rolled a piano down a ravine in the rain, but it was still tough work! Again, so thankful for all the help! Andrew my muscles.....actually Sarah and Amy are my muscles too!! 

I already had these lanterns in my house and I knew they'd make an amazing addition to the scene. 

I wanted a pink chandelier but I was really struggling to find one. In the nick of time, my friend Erin got in touch with another friend of our who had a lantern! This friend Jen pulled though and lent it to me for the weekend!! It was perfect!

Last year, while up at Mia's Grandpas cabin with the family, I spotted an old tube TV with antennas! I asked if I could use it and he gladly said yes! It was perfect for this scene! I sat the TV on a small little table that I had also refinished in this vintage wax.

I'm so grateful to all of the lenders in my shoots! I couldn't do this without them!

It was OK to take a little while to set up. I wasn't too worried about the sun because I knew that if I really wanted to fully capture the lanterns, I would need the sun to go down. All of the timing turned out perfect! We were shooting the last scene in perfect lighting and walked back before it got dark...and before too many strangers started creeping! We were smacked in the face by a strong and close smell of weed and then the bugs decided they wanted to stop by to say hello. It was about that time that we happily called it a night. 







During The Shoot:




Battle Scars! 

Andrew cut the heck out of his arm trying to hand my chandelier! My amazing husband is always putting himself at risk for me! 

And Sarah and my boots took quite a beating too!! These pictures were taken at Teriyaki Madness! A nice, yummy meal after a hard days work! At least we got to see a Thunderbird Crew guy there who we caught a glimpse of the next day at the airshow..... 

Dear Teriyaki Thunder, 
Haaaaaaaaaave ya met Sarah? Now you know how to reach her! hahaha!




Of course as you can see...we are always having so much fun! There are hours and hours and hours of prep time and then within 30-45 minutes of shooting...its done. I am so grateful for this team that continues to build of amazing friends and support! I am so so very lucky for each person who volunteers their time to be a part of this. It actually brings me to tears. 

Thanks to everyone who actually reads and continues and come back and share! I'm for sure definitely grateful for those who don't read and just look. I'm usually in your boat so I understand :-). Thank you to the unseen angels, higher power, God, spirit that continue to inspire me. I'm honored to be an instrument in your hands. I pray that this project with continue to touch more lives than my own for the good and uplift people across the world. 

Until we meet again,
Kira


Camera Settings:
Canon 5D MarkIII
Lenses: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 & Canon 50mm f/1.8
Aperture: f/4, f/4, f/1.8
Shutter: 1/125, 1/60, 1/50
ISO: 1250, 1250, 2500
Focal Length: 80mm, 50mm, 50mm




8 comments:

  1. Brilliantly done, Kira! This one has me crying. Your last couple of lines literally brought tears to my eyes. And the pictures...THE PICTURES!!! WOW! You succeeded with perfection depicting what you wanted to. These pictures tell such a beautiful story, and Mia is stunning! GREAT JOB - AS USUAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwww what sweet words mom!! I'm so thankful that I could bring some emotions of happiness!!! I definitely had some subconscious divine help with this one!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite! In #32 [and #32 Crop] I love how the fairy wings conceal the length of her body bringing her feet closer thus giving her more of a “fairy size” – “cute as a button” is the phrase that comes to mind. The pink centered pallet and pastel shades conjure a feminine fairy world that casts the dark and drab colors of the TV as a foreign object.

    The lack of TV screen glow on her face suggests that she, having watched humans spending hours upon hours in front of these contraptions, is attempting to evoke the magic by recreating the form and fashion she has observed, but, because it's a rare event, one crucial ingredient eludes her: the need to plug the thing in!

    Also, I love the phrase: “Finding tranquility in the cracks of our spinning clocks.”

    Yet another masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve! I love how eloquently you comment on my posts! I love how little she looks in that image as well and the pink feminine color scheme is different than my norm and I am happy with it as well!!

      Interesting that you said something about the lack of TV glow. I ALMOST had someone stand behind the TV with an off camera flash so that we could light up her face a little..thinking I needed a glow coming off the tv, but decided not to. I'm glad you found meaning in that, that maybe I didn't see!

      That phrase seems to be a favorite! It gave me chills when I typed it....which leads me to believe I was only an instrument in the hands of divine inspiration!

      Thank you for all of your beautiful thoughts once again!

      Delete
  4. Kira, my amazing, fairy princess, angel on earth daughter... you bring joy and wonder to the hearts and minds of everyone you touch with your beautiful art and the magnetic power of your joyful spirit! I want say ditto to your comments, and the above comments as well, because I too felt those same things! I might have to write a song inspired by that line; "Finding tranquility in the cracks of our spinning clocks". Great lyric there Kira! And so very true! You have captured this important message so perfectly, and as with all your Enchanted series, it is FANTAZMIGORICAL! You are one of MY greatest inspirations Kira!
    Love eternally, Yer dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * Tears :'-) *
      Thank you so much for your beautiful and sweet words daddy!! I am so thankful for the artistic and poetic genetics given to me by you and mom!! I hope to continue to touch hearts and inspire minds!

      Delete
    2. The words come easy when all you have to do is speak the truth. I too am grateful for genetics! :) ♫♪♫ Thank you so much for putting my music to your "The Making Of" video. What a generous thing to do! Love you "beyond the realm"! ♪♪♫♪

      Delete